Meth Lab Cleanup Issues
Typically, prior to cleanup, authorities examine, record & remove lab-related chemicals, apparatus, & associated equipment suspected of being used in the process before reporting the incident & investigating. Removing equipment alone does not make it safe !
Dependant on the cooking process, length of operation, storage & disposal of by-product waste, and identified levels of methamphetamine above acceptable levels (0.5μg/100cm2) the risk of exposure at a former meth lab can be significant until a meth lab cleanup is completed. Only a competent, trained & experienced technician can recognize the varied restoration issues & adapt procedures, methodology & response to a meth lab cleanup.
After the removal of illicit lab equipment & chemicals, residual amounts of meth, other chemicals & byproducts may persist indefinitely on interior surfaces & furnishings, being absorbed into structures, walls, & fixtures that will require a significant decontamination process, removal of affected contents & waste, and in some cases removal of affected building materials not suitable for restoration & remedial building works.
Potential areas of contamination can be divided into primary & secondary areas, with varied approaches to decontamination or as detailed within Remediation Action Plans (RAP)
Typical primary areas –
• Processing or ‘cooking’ areas – Significant contamination in these areas may be caused by spillage of chemicals, boil-overs, explosions, fumes & gases created during the heating & distilling processes. Internal areas affected may include floors, walls, ceilings, equipment, benches, cupboards, plumbing fixtures & drains (including septic tanks), air conditioning & HVAC systems.
• Disposal Areas – Internal sinks & drains, toilets, bathtubs & showers, floor drains, vents & extractors. Outdoor areas include, soil, groundwater, sewer & storm water drains, council waste or dumped on side of roadways & bush land.
• Storage Areas – Contamination may be caused during transfer of chemicals, leaks, spillage, chemical reactions & open container vapours.
Secondary areas of contamination include –
• Migration of fumes or during chemical movement, such as hallways or high traffic areas.
• Common areas in multiple dwelling structures or adjacent apartments & rooms can become contaminated.
• Shared ventilation, plumbing & HVAC systems can contaminate other areas of the home, hotel rooms, & business premises.
Why Contract a Professional Restorer ?
Dealing with hazardous levels of dangerous drug residues should not be left to untrained or inexperienced providers. Attempting to clean a property with limited understanding of restoration principles, an awareness of chemical hazards or improper cleaning techniques for a structure may prove to be a very dangerous & a costly exercise for owners & future occupiers.
Our meth lab cleaning team are professionals & dedicated, committed to providing an efficient, practical & cost effective decontamination process that is managed consistent with Australian guidelines & RAP requirements. As a family owned & operated business, our clients can rest assured that our team can manage all facets of restoration.
Furthermore, a professional restorer provides –
• Certified & experienced, meth lab decontamination technicians with qualifications (IICRC) in restoration services.
• Initial site assessment & testing services – Quality controlled sampling for laboratory analysis by a NATA (Australia) & IANZ (New Zealand) accredited laboratory or presumptive test.
• Remediation Action Plan (RAP) input or compliance to assist Industrial Hygienist & authorised officers develop effective strategies for cleanup, in line with restoration industry standards.
• Safe work practices- Work, health & safety standards for HAZMAT situations (containment, waste collection, & safe restoration procedures for chemical biohazards)
• Environmental Protection – Bio-degradable cleaning treatments & controlled industrial wash down methods to contain & collect waste, lawfully disposing of all contaminates
• Overall, providing a total restoration solution – from site preparation, management of external providers, hazardous waste & contents removal, property wash down & chemical decontamination, to site clearance & reporting.
Our manager has over 20 years policing experience dealing with this type of crime, having investigated Drug Manufacturing since 2005. Combined with certification & qualifications of Meth Lab Cleaning, Decontamination & Testing you can now rely on our ability to Assess, Manage & Remediate any site of contamination from Meth Labs, Cannabis Houses & other Biohazard situations.